Wednesday, November 19, 2008

More Christ-Centered

I began last school year with a firm conviction to exalt God in the classroom rather than myself. Knowing how easy it is to deceive myself, I posted this sign on the back wall, behind where the students sit. "Are you glorifying God… or glorifying yourself".

I recognize that I have not been very successful in pursuing this goal. On year later, I recognize I have been unacceptably self-centered. Therefore in meditating on how I can remedy the situation I have come up with a few resolutions in how I can be more Christ-centered in all the different roles I undertake in life.

As a Teacher

  • Don't seek student's praise. My student's can be very encouraging. However, I know that I subtly begin to seek that praise and accept it in my heart. My goal must always remain, helping them realize the Excellencies of Christ. He MUST increase and I MUST decrease.

As a Parent

  • Don't worry about people's perception of me as a parent. I need to care for Isaiah and respond to him biblically and lovingly.

As a Husband

  • Be more purposeful about bringing the gospel into conversations with my wife. Instead of simply seeking information about her day, I need to see how the gospel has impacted her day and circumstances.

As a Family Member

  • Don't worry about family members misunderstanding me, but misunderstanding the gospel.

As a Coach

  • Don't focus on winning. The primary goal is not winning, unless you are an unbeliever. My goal as a coach is to teach the kids to play in such a way that Christ is honored. I also need to speak and act to parents, coaches, players, and refs in such a way that Christ is honored.

As a Minister

  • Don't ask how I did. I like to get feedback every time I teach or preach. Welcoming feedback is not a bad thing, but I know that usually ask looking for a pat on the back rather than for suggestions to improve.
  • Always ask myself in conversations, "How is this person responding to the reality of the Gospel in their life?" I am often distracted at church when talking with other believers. I recognize that I am often burdened with worrying about who else I should be talking to, or how else should a use my time. Interestingly enough, I am not distracted when evangelizing. I think the reason is that I am purposely Christ focused in one and not the other.

As a Friend

  • Don't serve and encourage my friends with the motive of proving my love for them. Proof is self-centered. Again the focus must be Christ.

1 comment:

SIX Thirys said...

Encouraging and convicting post, Joe. But, I think you should add another one: "I shall not post to my blog anything about myself unless it is accompanied by a picture of Isaiah."